Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mini-Vacation to Long Beach, WA


Our family took a 3 night getaway to Long Beach, WA this past weekend. Mike and I decided we would take the kids away on a fun trip after all the stress of house-hunting and our house purchase falling through. We had a great time exploring the peninsula in the sunshine! Although the beach was fun, the highlights of the trip were the two hikes we took to the Cape Disappointment and North Head lighthouses. The photo above was taken in Dead Man's Cove on the way to the Cape Disappointment Lighthouse. It was this beautiful little cove with rocks to climb on and driftwood to explore. It was definitely a highlight of the trip.


This is the North Head Lighthouse. We couldn't go inside, but the views were pretty.

This boy loves to be outdoors. Sometimes I'm amazed at how he can entertain himself for hours with sticks and dirt (or sand).


Noah loved the sand too. Oregon is perfect for winter hats and bare feet!


It was fun to drive on Long Beach! We even passed other vehicles and horses on our way into town.


On Sunday we played at Fort Columbia. We explored the bunkers and hiked around the beautiful park. The bunkers are pretty creepy, but I'm sure the men stationed here during WWII were thankful for them.


Sunday was also the Loyalty Day Parade for the Long Beach Peninsula. We sat for a few hours and watched the parade. The kids were more excited about the candy than any of the marching bands or clowns. My favorite club that marched was a group of people from Portland called the "Get a Life Marching Band". They appeared to all be in their late 50's to 70's. I found their webpage and this is how they describe themselves, "We were all in high school or college marching bands. We still haven't gotten over it. We'd rather miss a note than a meal!" Their 2011 slogan is, "We don't need good taste to know what tastes good." I'm still not sure what the eating has to do with marching bands and drill teams, but they were having tons of fun so I guess it doesn't matter. In fact, they seemed to be having way more fun than the junior high and high school marching bands and drill teams. Noah waved at everyone marching by. We're talking hours of waving. He's quite the friendly guy!



A break from hiking to enjoy the daisies.

Mike and I agreed we could have stayed on the peninsula for a week and kept busy. What a beautiful part of Washington! We look forward to visiting again someday!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

That's where Ken and I went on our honeymoon so it's fun to see those places in your pics again! I had to laugh when you mentioned the Get a Life band... My mom either played with them or knew people in it (several years ago) and it used to be "Get a Life and Lose Some Weight Marching Band" so I wonder if all the food connotations have to do with that? I'm so glad you guys were able to get away and have a good time. :)

Carrie said...

Cheryl, it was sad to notice that the older folks were way more fit than the Jr. Highers :( Several pre-teens were so heavy they were having a hard time just marching in the parade. I'm glad they were out there marching and not sitting home playing video games though. Hmmm...I might just have to join that band. I don't play an instrument but I could sport sequins and twirl a baton ;)

Kara Chupp said...

Love these photos Carrie...I can see you with sequins and a baton :)